Only days left!

As our time in Northern Ireland is quickly coming to an end, I am realizing that my student teaching experience and my time as a Drake student are also coming to an end. It is so bittersweet to end my education at Drake University but it has given me so many opportunities to grow as a person. Student teaching abroad has taught me so much about myself as a person, myself as a teacher and education systems in general.

I really enjoyed the last two weeks of teaching at Gilnahirk primary school. I felt as if the students were really starting to respect me and enjoy my teaching. I also felt like I was an essential part of the classroom because I was involved in so many lessons. On Friday I made the mistake of messing with the students. I would tap them on the opposite shoulder so they would look the wrong way, stick a piece of paper in their ear or try to scare them. This got to be quite the game. They kept trying to get me back. During break and lunch they would be crawling on the floor trying to sneak up on me. They left on Friday promising that they would get me back before I left!

The weekend was spent with all of the other American students and international students. We are tried to make the most of our last weekend together. We also went to panto which is a school play put on by Stranmillis students. They performed Little Red Riding Hood and it was pretty cool! It was a little modern with the song selections so that was fun. On Sunday we went to St. George’s Market, which is basically a farmers market inside a big building. I spent a lot of money there for souvenirs and gifts. They also had some great food. I got a chorizo and egg crepe and a tropical smoothie.

It seems surreal that I am starting to pack to go home. It feels as if I just got here. With that being said I am excited to see my friends and family. It has been a great time here in Northern Ireland!